The Forums Forum Index The Forums
Message board for the various projects at TenCentTicker.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hourly Comic Day
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Hourly Comic Day 2006
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if doing it that frequently, every day, would be good. It would take some of the 'special' off of it and also it might just be overwhelming.
Perhaps once a week would be better?
They have Illustration Friday, you could do 24 Hour Wednesday or something?
Or, You could leave 24 Hour Comic as a once a month thing and have something less involved for the remaining Wednesdays?
I'm just thinking of how much time, energy, scanning, drawing, inking, and everything else that goes into the 24 hour one.
Jared
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I get what you mean about the special thing...
But I think the point of the hourly comic is that it shouldn't totally dominate your day....(unlike the McCloud thingie 24-hour comic). So do you mean weekly for each person, or weekly for the group? Because both strike me as, well, kinda easy....though the "group weekly" means if there's more than 4 people that's more than a month between "turns".
Food for thought.

All I know is that I want to do this regularly and it'd be hella cool to do it as a group.
Robin
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's something that will just need trial and error. You have a fantastic idea here, and I, for one, totally want to see it continue and evolve.
I think it will most likely just come down to talking to different people, see who sticks and who likes doing what, and trying out different things.
I think, maybe, if kept simple and gradual and careful and not allow it to run away and go over the top, it will become it's own thing after awhile.
Maybe you could just start by asking when or if everyone wants to do this again and then set the date for the next one?
I know I mentioned Illustration Friday before, but they have a great set up, just not sure how they did it because I am so not a code wiz, but everyone puts their project on their own site and then enters the static link onto the Illustration Friday page, people go to the page and click the link and presto! they see the person's work. What do you think?
I have not a clue on how to make the group thing work.
Jared
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for introducing me to Illustration Fridays. Now I'm curious to see what else I've been ignorant of this whole time (like Journal comics before this week...for the most part...or even just Butterfly which is great).

The illustration Friday set up (or something like it) is ideal but yeah, no coding wizard on this end either. And yeah...so getting ahead of ourselves. Simple and gradual is good...and god knows I have other random things to put the energy towards.
So, you want to just say we do this again on February 15th or something? That's a little less than two weeks and already looking to be a surreal day to try to keep an illustrated log of.

And importantly, does Mr. Campbell mind if we continue to do this here? While I know The Hourly Comic is his, I can't fathom a better place to try to continue it.
-jared
Robin
Jericho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, the coding is easy. It's just java script, so it is easily done. Just need a place for the page and since it would just be text links it wouldn't be a lot of space needed.
And, you have a point, we did run away a bit didn't we? Where is Mr. Campbell and what does he have to say about all of this?
pinguino
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got so many people IMing me and telling me to do more of them (was cross-posting to my blog).. i'd definately be up for more special events. and hopefully that day ill be doing something more interesting than sitting at my computer all day!

honestly itd be kinda cool on feb 15 to do comics about how feb 14 went Razz
Jared
Jericho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I went ahead and emailed the Man, and this was the result:

Quote:
hi! it's cool to hear that people are excited and want to keep going at it. i had an idea a while back to get ~30 people to do it once a month, and then have them update hourly, a new person each day, on the hourly comic site, turning it into a collaborative project. that would maybe be an idea you could add to the conversation!

you have my blessings in general!

-john

I think the trick is finding how many people are actually interested in this. I really like John's idea...that is turning it into a collaborative project...but how many people are actually interested in doing this regularly?

So far, I count four. I know that can't be right.
-jared
pinguino
Aqualad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post it a couple other places.. prolly not that many people are looking at this thread necessarily

(btw im interested)
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Hourly Comic Day 2006 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: