The Forums Forum Index The Forums
Message board for the various projects at TenCentTicker.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help With Coloring in PS?

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Rambling On
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robin
Jericho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:38 am    Post subject: Help With Coloring in PS? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend some good on-line tutorials or books for coloring in artwork with Photoshop? I'm currently using PS7 but I'm upgrading to CS2 in about three weeks.
I would rate my skills at slightly experienced enthusiastic amateur who has used PS exclusively for photography but now want to expand my skills.
And... I ramble way too much, don't I? And... if this is an inappropriate place to post this question, I do apologize.
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoid gradients like the plague.
Color on a layer set to multiply.
Linework should be BLACK, no grays at all.
Work at at least 300 dpi.
Use Photoshop's Save For Web feature.
No Anti-Aliasing on your selection tools.
Use the pencil tool to color.

That's my main coloring rules for coloring intended for the web.
Robin
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I'm going to work with these suggestions and see if I can come up with something decent. My main problem is impatience, I know what I want it to look like, I just can't get it there.
Pulp
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me Too! I just can't shade to save my life.
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean: is there any difference between using Save for Web and just working in RGB mode and reducing to 72 dpi before saving?
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewH wrote:
Dean: is there any difference between using Save for Web and just working in RGB mode and reducing to 72 dpi before saving?

EXCELLENT QUESTION. Why yes there is. Save for web gives you considerably more options for file format, number of colors, image quality, etc. Often a png or gif with less than 32 colors is all you need for a black/white image, and that can lower the file size a bit. I use it for EVERY image I post online.
Scott
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no hard and fast rule for colouring in Photoshop. A million people can tell you a million different ways to do it, none of them will be right, none of them will be wrong. Learn as many ways as you can and adopt that techniques that work for you and cast aside those that don't.

In that spirit:

Gradients can be used sparingly if used properly. Usually in the backgrounds and what not. You've got to be damn good to use it in the characters themselves.

If printing CMYK use a boosted black (C:50% M:50% Y:50% K:100%)

Never print RGB and never make a web comic CMYK.

While setting layers to mutiply has it's merits, I prefer the control of choosing my colours manually. Study colour theory before you do that though.

Shadow don't have to be black or grey. Try an overlay of blue or purple.

Colour flats: Filling a character or section with any ol' colour then magic wand that section to constrain your colouring. It is a very handy technique.

Learn what the 'contiguous' check box does with the magic wand and the paint bucket.

Photoshop's type tool is not the best way to go. Turn to PS's heterosexual life mate Illustrator for all your lettering needs.

Speaking of fonts: Comic Sans is not in any way a font you should EVER consider using. It sucks that much.
Robin
Jericho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any fonts you would recommend? I've found a few I like, none comic sans, though I do use that one on my blog but not for images.
I seem to be picking up that the main thing is practise, practise, practise, and patience. Does that sound right?
Lot's of good ideas to work with so far. Keep them coming. This is great.
MatthewH
Jericho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally love comics that are hand-lettered, although my own lettering really sucks. If you really don't want to do it by hand though, I'd say Blambot seems like the best comic fonts site.
Scott
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Matthew said, Blambot is the best since they've got some really nice free ones. If you're technically minded and have access to Fontlab or Fontographer you could always make your own too.
Robin
Jericho

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean and Scott,
excellent advice both of you. You gave me some great info to work with. I also figured out a couple of things on my own, things that are probably soooo obvious to every one else.
Make sure the drawing is clean and exactly as you want it before you scan it in.
I also found that by adjusting the transparency on the layer I am working with I can see the original shading from the drawing I made on the layer below it which helps me place the shading in photoshop.
And, I can't say this enough...to myself..because I'm so impatient, go slow!!! and work in lots and lots of layers. and label them. Lable those damn layers!
michaelpatrick
Aqualad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scott wrote:

This is basically true, but oddly enough printing at Kinko's is a little different. They use a gigantic computer called a Colorpass which converts your RGB into CMYK. So if you give them a CMYK file you may run into color issues. Actually you will almost definitely run into issues either way, but somehow RGB colors print better there (which goes against all logic).
Scott
Aqualad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelpatrick wrote:
Scott wrote:

This is basically true, but oddly enough printing at Kinko's is a little different. They use a gigantic computer called a Colorpass which converts your RGB into CMYK. So if you give them a CMYK file you may run into color issues. Actually you will almost definitely run into issues either way, but somehow RGB colors print better there (which goes against all logic).

Colorpass is a RIP (Raster Image Processor) program. I have heard rumours that in certain circumstances you can get better colour by sending RGB which the RIP transforms into CMYK and by some sort of alchemy gives you better colour but damned if I know how that works.

Looks like I need to do a little research.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Rambling On All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: