The Forums Forum Index The Forums
Message board for the various projects at TenCentTicker.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A little book

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Rambling On
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmehgee
Terra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: A little book Reply with quote

I wasn't sure if this should go here in Rambling On or the Comic/Drawing section so I posted it to the most fitting of the two.

That being said, my friend Ben has let me borrow two of John Pham's sketchpads. Seeing as I have people in the same building as me who can teach me pretty much any type of bookmaking, I went to them with the books and asked them to teach me.

So I got taught, and made this:

The covers were really fast to make. I just pencilled out the designs quick on old envelopes, brush penned over, then used layers of watercolour. Apart from the white, which is just white ink.

Enjoy. Smile
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa, you made those?
jimmehgee
Terra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah!

Here's another one I made that I was really proud of. It's a book of perforated envelopes and writing paper (I made the envelopes from scratch as well) that you can tear out and use!

Robin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am experiencing...fandom. those look great dude.
jimmehgee
Terra

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, thanks dude. My final major project for college is being based on the boundaries of books and so forth, so there should be a lot for me to share in the coming weeks.

I actually made a fancy concertina book making tutorial on my blog with a load of pictures. Here's a link! It's a pretty easy process for that one and takes under an hour to do.
Jericho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are fantastic! I just started making books myself and I love it. It's such a cool feeling to know that you've made that. You did a really good job on those. Keep showing us!
jimmehgee
Terra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been making some books, but only learning the techniques at the moment really. It's researching for my final major project... so once that's done I can get creative with what I've learned. Very Happy

In the meantime here's a tutorial I did today. It tells you how to make the notebooks.
Robin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmehgee wrote:
In the meantime here's a tutorial I did today. It tells you how to make the notebooks.

EXCELLENT. Great tutorial. Smile
jimmehgee
Terra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dean. Smile
Jericho

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife like to make little notebooks

Terra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damnit, I thought I replied to that. Those look really nice, man. Tell you wife I like 'em!

So here's something I posted at the Loch Ness Monster Adventure Club for Jeff Rowland.

"A little while back, maybe a month, I was painting a lot of chunky canvases. Because I'm cheeky but know you have to ask in order to get, I mailed Jeff saying we could do some sort of exchange for an OverComp painting. He kindly declined due to what he called "time" and I told him it was cool and I'd just do the painting and send it regardless. Because, y'know, I'm a good fan. Hahaha.

So anyway I haven't really painted since then due to being pretty busy, but I started making books during the time between then and now (for college). I remembered about Jeff's painting and realised I would probably never do it. So I did this instead:

I did it in one evening but it was a pain in the butt. I had to use printer paper, which is pathetically floppy, and because OC comics are a certain length I had to make some strips of paper to go between - holding the comics together. Which means a bit of warping toward the spine, but it's forgivable I suppose. There's 10 recent OC strips in there.

Just a present that I will be sending Jeff next week to say thanks for all the people who silently enjoy his comic yet never tell him he's doing a good job."

Edit: I'm thinking of doing a book like the one above but for Butterfly. Would you be willing to send me about 20 medium-res Butterfly strips for that, Dean? Just that the printing quality on the re-sized ones is crap. I'm going into town tomorrow to pick up on art supplies, so let me know before then because I need to know how much paper to get. I'm thinking of binding it with French folds and having a wrap-around pouch cover (or maybe one that folds out), cream coloured with embossing.
Terra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmehgee wrote:
I'm thinking of doing a book like the one above but for Butterfly. Would you be willing to send me about 20 medium-res Butterfly strips for that, Dean? Just that the printing quality on the re-sized ones is crap. I'm going into town tomorrow to pick up on art supplies, so let me know before then because I need to know how much paper to get. I'm thinking of binding it with French folds and having a wrap-around pouch cover (or maybe one that folds out), cream coloured with embossing.

No?
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmehgee wrote:
jimmehgee wrote:
I'm thinking of doing a book like the one above but for Butterfly. Would you be willing to send me about 20 medium-res Butterfly strips for that, Dean? Just that the printing quality on the re-sized ones is crap. I'm going into town tomorrow to pick up on art supplies, so let me know before then because I need to know how much paper to get. I'm thinking of binding it with French folds and having a wrap-around pouch cover (or maybe one that folds out), cream coloured with embossing.

No?

Oh right, yeah sure. Sounds cool. It'll just take me a bit to go through all the files and resave out versions for you. I'll let you know when I've got time, okay?
jimmehgee
Terra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, that's cool. Not that you will - but don't do it out of obligation, just do it 'cause you want to.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Rambling On All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: