The Forums Forum Index The Forums
Message board for the various projects at TenCentTicker.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Comics Whining Thread.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Comics Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: The Comics Whining Thread. Reply with quote

Since my comics newsblog is supposedly all-positive, I thought it'd be nice to have an outlet for whining when I don't like stuff.

Is anyone else finding themselves pretty let down by DC's One Year Later event? I mean, it seems like there have been some changes, but nothing all that dramatic, and the books themselves aren't showing much of a boost in quality. Anybody read the new Nightwing? UGH.

Okay, and over to Marvel. Did you guys see they're pulilng the Iron Man team of Warren Ellis and Adi Granov? MAN, they're the first team to make Iron Man readable in years!

GRUMBLE GRUMBLE
Gil
Terra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you.

Right now the only Marvel book I pick up is Whedon and Cassaday's X-book.

I am enjoying James Robinson on Batman and Morrison and Quitely on Superman, but JSA has been a let down.

Seems to me that the Blue Beetle reboot is very unexciting.

I've begun to fill in my weekly list by going to the bargain bin and pick up comics that are no longer in print, but that I always wanted to read and that is fun. This week is Future Comics' Freemind #0 and Image Comics Stardust Kid #1. Over the past half-year I've also picked up a ton of CrossGen books and trades for really cheap and they have been fun.
Gil
Terra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just read the new Kurt Busiek/Geoff Johns Superman book--is it just me, or isn't this OYL "event" almost identical to Marvel's Heroes Reborn from the late 90's?
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil wrote:
Just read the new Kurt Busiek/Geoff Johns Superman book--is it just me, or isn't this OYL "event" almost identical to Marvel's Heroes Reborn from the late 90's?

splain.
Gil
Terra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a "cataclysmic" event in the late 90's, Marvel "ended" a number of it's classic books including the Avengers, FF, Iron Man, etc only to relaunch them about 1 year later with new creative teams. For example, Avengers was relaunched with Kurt Busiek as writer and George Perez on art.

Reading the new OYL superman book by Busiek and Johns and listening to the dialogue about "where has Superman gone" sure feels a lot like that Marvel Mega-Event.
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gil wrote:
After a "cataclysmic" event in the late 90's, Marvel "ended" a number of it's classic books including the Avengers, FF, Iron Man, etc only to relaunch them about 1 year later with new creative teams. For example, Avengers was relaunched with Kurt Busiek as writer and George Perez on art.

Reading the new OYL superman book by Busiek and Johns and listening to the dialogue about "where has Superman gone" sure feels a lot like that Marvel Mega-Event.

OHHHH, you're talking about 'Heroes RETURN' not 'Heroes Reborn.' Yeah it's a lot like that. Except that everyone hasn't been stranded in a pocket universe for the year. With Rob Liefeld.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like they're taking advantage of the opportunity. The creative teams are pretty standard, with a few nice exceptions like Robinson on Det. Comics.

I mean it was a great chance to fix recent mistakes like the current Supergirl costume. And they're bringing on the Kubert bros and Morrison, right? Why not hit the ground running with that stuff? And starting off Robin with solid art from Karl Kershl only to trade off for someone else is really weak.
Gil
Terra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right . . . "Heroes Return" it is . . . got my cataclysmic mega-event terminology all kinds of mixed up.

Yet another sign of my advancing age . . . sigh.

And I agree, they don't seem to be getting the mileage out of this that they could.

I haven't been following too much, but does DC's 52 look like it's going to be any good?
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we're on the subject of comics rants, in my opinion, Batman Annual #25 was the worst comic so far of 2006.
jimmehgee
Terra

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just fuckin' sick of the X-Men. Too much, too much!

Also I'm just not feeling The Incredibles anymore. I don't like how it all feels like a movie. I mean, I like explosions and I like helicopters, don't get me wrong, but there comes a point...
Jericho

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wish they would go back to telling solid stories instead of forcing Crisis of the Month on people, then every other title is a tie-in or the Crisis is effecting them...HA, I don't even read em. But I am dying to read MArvel Zombies...
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard Time has been canceled. Mad
Rachel
Terra

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Excalibur was one of my favorite comics ever. The two most recent series by the same name have been consistently lousy to mediocre. Grr.
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rachel wrote:
The original Excalibur was one of my favorite comics ever. The two most recent series by the same name have been consistently lousy to mediocre. Grr.

I really liked the era of Excalibur just before and just after Nightcrawler shaved his head and started carrying a sword. Douglock and Kitty Pryde and all that jazz. Good times.

Recent times? Unreadable.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Comics Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: