The Forums Forum Index The Forums
Message board for the various projects at TenCentTicker.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RAMBLE RAMBLE

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Rambling On
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dr. Uncle
Jericho

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: RAMBLE RAMBLE Reply with quote

Ok, it be 12:06 in the AM here in Vancouver BC. I'm sharpening up to lose my head over here. I missed out on 24 hour comic day...I missed out on APE and it looks like I'll be missing out on Sand Diego too if things don't start getting better.

I'm starting to loosen my grip on my Daily Grind stuff. My reader numbers keep getting smaller and smaller and my stories don't like themselves. I can't seem to get motivated properly. I'm feeling the pinch...and for the first time since starting the grind, considered stepping down.

This isn't productive or helpful, but I feel like writing it down anyhow. I'm trying to stay in a good frame of mind. But I got half a mind to quit the art business... and go work at a videostore for the next 20 years....oh yeah, those are going out of business too.

How do you guys get out of a funk?!
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel dutifully obliged to harrass you into staying in the Grind, like you did for me. DUDE. DON'T QUIT.

Plus, Death FAQ is brilliant, so is Stranded on the Moon.

*LOVE*
Les
Terra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The day before yesterday, some friends and I were discussing GEOFPTWT, and one guy said, "who did that strip a few weeks back with the sort of cartoony style, that totally changed the model on the puddin' bear? That was awesome!"
I said, "Oh, that was Joseph Bergin III."
"Yeah," he said, "that guy's fantastic!"

Hang in there!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dr. Uncle,

I think your work is absolutely fantastic and I am sorry to hear that the siren call of the video store is ever so slightly drowning out the come-hither call of your muse!

One of the things that keeps me going during those dark nights of the soul:

I try to accept that the "down" feeling is a normal, necessary part of the creative process. I don't think it is possible to be an artist or a writer of any merit and NOT feel that way from time to time. Artists and their relationship to their work is never a straight line of progressive joy, but is a series of peaks and valleys.

Unfortunately sounds like you are in a valley. And that never feels good.

When I feel this way, it sometimes helps to take a peek at Kafka's journals--he was often profoundly dissatisfied with his writing and depressed when he was doing some of his most important work.

Good luck as you struggle through this rough patch. The IM Challenge will definitely have lost an amazing creative talent should you decide to take a pass.
Phil
Terra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joseph, You are one of the most talented artists I've had the pleasure of knowing via the internet. If you step down and quit the whole art thing, what hope is there for guys like me!?!?!?!?! I'd give an arm and a leg to be able to draw things as wonderfully as you do!

Please don't quit!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TK Longmire
Aqualad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude if you quit you'd be a total weiner. And totally lame. God.

And: hit counts are fickle. Really. Do what you like DON'T BE A VAUDEVILLAIN. THAT IS WHAT BLONDIE IS FOR. Yes.

Seriously though, everyone would be bummed if you quit. It would suck all around.

And a LiveJournal too, wow
Phil
Terra

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone's hits have gone down significantly since the grind started. Mine are only about 1/3 of what they were. It's cool though, hit's don't mean squat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ed brisson
Aqualad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hits to the Grind itself are down, which is something that was inevitable. I think that, overall, everyone's hits are probably still up from before the Grind started, they're just not as high as they were in the Grind's salad days.

Joseph. I still have 3 of your DVDs and that aquarium that I promised you. If you quit, you won't see any of these. That's a promise.

Hang in there. There are so many times that I nearly gave up during the first Grind, but I pushed through and feel so much better for having done that.
Dr. Uncle
Jericho

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Garsh--- thanks guys. I'm feeling a bit better after all. I've just had a comic killing mood that has taken me away from the field before. Luckily I now know some comic creators who 'got my back'.

Thanks, crisis avoided.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Rambling On All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: