The Forums Forum Index The Forums
Message board for the various projects at TenCentTicker.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOURLY COMIC DAY GUIDELINES

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Hourly Comic Day 2008
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stereotypist
Terra

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: HOURLY COMIC DAY GUIDELINES Reply with quote

IT IS HERE (THE TIME)

beginning the hour it becomes february first, in your time zone, you will make a journal comic describing your past hour, for every hour that you are awake.

SO let's say that you are awake at 7:37am. make a comic before 8am! and when you have done that, you will need to make another comic sometime before 9am!

you will do this every hour until it becomes february 2nd! (midnight!) OR until you go to bed and stay asleep past midnight.

the internet part:

any time afterwards, but hopefully within the next day or so (or maybe right at midnight), scan all the comics you made, and crop/resize them so they fit comfortably in a browser. 600 pixels for the width or height is probably the absolute largest they should be. 400 pixels square is a pretty good size.

you'll then need to upload the pictures somewhere so that other people can see them. if you don't have a server, try photobucket or imageshack.

THEN, and pay careful attention here, post your day's comics in a new thread, in this forum. because there might be a decent number of people doing this, i'm going to ask that you adhere to a little format! post only your comics, in order, in this new thread. make the subject as follows:

name - location

so when i post my comics, the subject of the new thread that i create will look like:

john campbell - zacatecas, mexico

this helps us know what time zone you're in and such! you can look at past years for examples, though we're gonna drop that dumb [hc] tag because it is superfluous.

more general things:

this isn't a competition at all! it's actually not impossibly difficult to make a comic every hour. perhaps you'll find it startlingly easy! if you want a challenge, you may have to challenge yourself to make the comics more visually complex. some of you may have the opposite problem of spending too much time on each comic. simplify! make it minimal enough to leave you time to do something during the day.

buy a little book or something to carry around with you. for the past two years i've been using little moleskines.

you may want to do a test run to see if you live a life such that you can stop and comic once an hour. this is especially true for people who go to school or have jobs. please don't get fired or kicked out of class or what have you.

if you need any more clarification, go ahead and ask!
mikebuffington
Aqualad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do this, but I am traveling from Arizona to New York that day. What should I do about time zones? I want my extra two hours!
sugarcoma
Aqualad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone can do it then?
ImAfraidofVirginiaWoolf
Aqualad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to teach a class that meets for over an hour on February 1st. Will you write me a note excusing me from paying attention to my students for 10 minutes while I draw that hour's comic?

Or do I have to come up with some plausibly professional-sounding way to ignore them on my own?

Maybe I will just call "wormhole!" on that hour and draw it after class... but the guilt may eat me alive.
Jame
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikebuffington wrote:
I'm going to do this, but I am traveling from Arizona to New York that day. What should I do about time zones? I want my extra two hours!
I say just do them for every hour you are awake... Even though you are loosing those 2 hours due to the flight and time zones. Maybe make a note about it?
crazycstudios
Aqualad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sugarcoma wrote:
anyone can do it then?

That appears to be the idea of this "anyone can post" forum. You just need somewhere to upload the comics.

I'm thinking of even forcing others to participate. Because I'm a nice guy like that.
stereotypist
Terra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, anybody can participate.

if you're teaching a class maybe you can get everybody doing some kind of written exercise for a bit, giving you a break. if you have to call wormhole on that hour that's fine, this is a little bit more relaxed of a thing, no one's going to yell at you.

the crossing time zones thing, you can do whatever you like. again, pretty relaxed, if you want those two hours, totally take them.
Troy RULES
Aqualad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds fun enough. I don't have school Friday, plus I draw on a computer, so it shouldn't be hard.
sugarcoma
Aqualad

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooooooooooooooool
gollier
Aqualad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing this. Hopefully, I won't have as much of a problem finding a working scanner on campus as I did last time I needed one.
felneymike
Cyborg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard about this on the Thing forums (http://www.ukwebcomixthing.co.uk), sounds good fun! I enjoy doing quick "drawn for fun" comics. I do my "proper" comics these days in the proper pencilled-then-inked way, but sometimes it's fun to just pump something out with a good old biro on printer paper XD
Edward J Grug III
Terra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I am the winner of going first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
typical spoon
Aqualad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

during hours where you should have other priorities, just take a quick note! takes mere seconds. then, when you have the time, draw the comic. i've had entire days this month where i had to draw all hours in a batch when i got home.

it looked a little like:
6:22 - annoying guy
7:18 - cat attack
8:35 - cold pizza

less guilt, more comics!
Alisa
Aqualad

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh this is cool. I found this through Fleen and for once I'm going to do something like this even though I'm feeling a bit chicken about it...(my art is le suck). I'm excited for tomorrow.

(also I think I am a little too excited I could actually use my real name on a forum for once Very Happy)
ForgedPixels
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that this year's lands on a Friday, anyone else up for making this into Hourly Comic Weekend? Razz I'm rather tempted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Philippe
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe people should add a little "(finished)" or "(in progress)" at the end of their thread titles?
chelicious
Jericho

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First day of unemployment for hourly comics day! Coincidence? I think not.

I vote yes for hourly comics weekend.
simplifytothree
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I could do a weekend. that would force me to try and be interesting for too long. Rolling Eyes

I...I don't think I can handle the responsibility.
Paul Gadzikowski
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to be interesting. You just have to draw interesting pictures about it!

Arthur, King of Time and Space New cartoons daily
nobody
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had off from work today, so I am doing this.
nemosum
Aqualad

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had off work today. My co-workers all gave me funny looks when I suddenly started spending all my breaks drawing.
erniebrewster
Aqualad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Best Idea! Reply with quote

Thanks for putting this on! I've had a blast, and there are still more to read!
marina_macaroni
Aqualad

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to anyone that reads this:
I've got a question. what is the method you find best to draw your comics? because what I do is draw them all in pencil and then trace them in gel pen, and it takes literally hours. suggestions?

cheers.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Hourly Comic Day 2008 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: