The Forums Forum Index The Forums
Message board for the various projects at TenCentTicker.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOURLY COMIC DAY DETAILED GUIDELINES

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Hourly Comic Day 2006
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stereotypist
Terra

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: HOURLY COMIC DAY DETAILED GUIDELINES Reply with quote

so! you want to take part in hourly comic day! AWESOME

nitty-gritty:

beginning the hour it becomes february first, in your time zone, you will make a journal comic describing your past hour, for every hour that you are awake. no one wants to read about you sleeping!

SO let's say that you are awake at 7:37am. make a comic before 8am! and when you have done that, you will need to make another comic some time before 9am!

you will do this every hour until it becomes february 2nd! (midnight!) OR until you go to bed and stay asleep past midnight.

the internet part:

any time afterwards, but hopefully within the next day or so (or maybe right at midnight), scan all the comics you made, and crop/resize them so they fit comfortably in a browser. 600 pixels for the width or height is probably the absolute largest they should be. 400 pixels square is a pretty good size.

you'll then need to upload the pictures somewhere so that other people can see them. if you don't have a server, i know photobucket is a pretty reliable image host.

THEN, and pay careful attention here, post your day's comics in a new thread, in this forum. because there might be a decent number of people doing this, i'm going to ask that you adhere to a little format! post only your comics, in order, in this new thread. make the subject as follows:

[hc] name, location

so when i post my comics, the subject of the new thread that i create will look like:

[hc] john campbell, chicago, illinois

this helps us know what time zone you're in and such!

more general things:

this isn't a competition at all! it's actually not impossibly difficult to make a comic every hour. perhaps you'll find it startlingly easy! if you want a challenge, you may have to challenge yourself to make the comics more visually complex. some of you may have the opposite problem of spending too much time on each comic. simplify! make it minimal enough to leave you time to do something during the day.

buy a little book or something to carry around with you. i personally use index cards that are spiral-bound. they are small, sturdy, and tear out for easy scanning. they work okay!

you may want to do a little test run to see if you live a life such that you can stop and comic once an hour. this is especially true for people who go to school or have jobs. please don't get fired or kicked out of class or what have you.

if you need any more clarification, go ahead and ask!
Jamie Dee Galey
Raven

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will win this so damn fast, James Campbell!
stereotypist
Terra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's the spirit, james dee!
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, I'm definitely going to win. It's about how many times you can draw yourself at a computer or listening to headphones, right? THATS ALL I DO SUCKAS!
Jamie Dee Galey
Raven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot "hand on mouse" Dean Trippe.
MatthewH
Jericho

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Careful guys, I wouldn't want you to have any "accidents" before the big day...Maybe its best for all involved if you take a fall in the 9th.
jasonturner
Blue Beetle

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewH wrote:
Careful guys, I wouldn't want you to have any "accidents" before the big day...Maybe its best for all involved if you take a fall in the 9th.

Break both ankles! Then there will be lots of time to draw!
iwanttotouchjohncampbell

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so, every person starts an entirely new thread just for his or her comics?

which category in the forum, or does it matter, or stuff
stereotypist
Terra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, everyone will post a separate thread in this, the hourly comic forum. that way there's one place to go for all of them, and people can leave comments if they want to.

*touch*
Bezman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: a couple of things, and some more things. Reply with quote

Yo, I came online to see what the crack was re: Feb 1st.

Is the 'no one wants to read about you sleeping!' a dig at me? That seems kinda mean...

2 things I notice re: rules.

1 - if someone wakes up at say, 11:59 and 50 seconds (or even just 7:59 or whatever) they might not be able to wake up and make a comic in that one minute, so will lose.

2 - if someone has a nap or falls asleep on the train or whatever, what happens then?

Other thing - I think it is actually kinda hard. I keep forgetting and I messed up a few days. Not yet managed a solid week. But I promised myself I wouldn't miss another deadline.

I actually think it's an amazing feat that you've remembered each hour for so long, keeping it on your mind and not being distracted by other stuff.

But yeah, it'll be interesting to see everyone else's stuff at some point in the future.

Stay funky,
- Bez
stereotypist
Terra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: a couple of things, and some more things. Reply with quote

Bezman wrote:
Is the 'no one wants to read about you sleeping!' a dig at me? That seems kinda mean...

actually, no! several people have asked me about this, and i am kind of rude to all of them! it's a more reasonable idea than i give it credit for.

Bezman wrote:

1 - if someone wakes up at say, 11:59 and 50 seconds (or even just 7:59 or whatever) they might not be able to wake up and make a comic in that one minute, so will lose.

i would be pretty lenient in this case, and am lenient with myself when this has happened during the past month. woke up right before the hour changes so it's impossible to comic? okay! do one for the next hour. i think that is okay.
Bezman wrote:

2 - if someone has a nap or falls asleep on the train or whatever, what happens then?

i'm not sure! i haven't done this myself. if you fall asleep before you do a comic for the hour, and then wake up some time past that hour, i guess that is okay? just keep doing them while you're awake.
Bezman wrote:

Other thing - I think it is actually kinda hard. I keep forgetting and I messed up a few days. Not yet managed a solid week. But I promised myself I wouldn't miss another deadline.

I actually think it's an amazing feat that you've remembered each hour for so long, keeping it on your mind and not being distracted by other stuff.

i think it can be pretty hard! some of the people who have tried it out have told me, "hey, this isn't so hard, what's the big deal?" and more power to them! i have had some close calls, and have probably been doing it for as long as i have only because my friends are supportive.
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: a couple of things, and some more things. Reply with quote

stereotypist wrote:

i would be pretty lenient in this case, and am lenient with myself when this has happened during the past month. woke up right before the hour changes so it's impossible to comic? okay! do one for the next hour. i think that is okay.[/quote]
Yeah I think the thing to do is not get so hung up on the rules but get excited about the challenge. Even if you mess up, you should still post your comic and SAY SO. You still should get some props for attempting this insanity!

stereotypist wrote:
i think it can be pretty hard! some of the people who have tried it out have told me, "hey, this isn't so hard, what's the big deal?" and more power to them! i have had some close calls, and have probably been doing it for as long as i have only because my friends are supportive.

yeah dude, i can't imagine doing it EVERY DAY. you're a golden god.
jasonturner
Blue Beetle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: a couple of things, and some more things. Reply with quote

Bezman wrote:

I really never considered this in terms of ... losing. Even if you missed an hour, or gave up or whatever... you'd have done something.
deantrippe
Robin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: a couple of things, and some more things. Reply with quote

jasonturner wrote:
Bezman wrote:

I really never considered this in terms of ... losing. Even if you missed an hour, or gave up or whatever... you'd have done something.

Totally.

In other news, I JUST REALIZED that mine will probably be longer than most folks', since I hardly ever sleep.
NMcCoy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds like a lot of fun. I have essentially zero skill at drawing (I know everyone says that, but I mean it), and can't find any black pens in my apartment, so I guess I'll be doing sort of a mixed-media stick-figure mishmash. With no rehearsal, it'll be an interesting experience.
subweird
Jericho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: a couple of things, and some more things. Reply with quote

deantrippe wrote:

...mine will probably be longer than most folks'.

story of my life.
Bezman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: a couple of things, and some more things. Reply with quote

stereotypist wrote:
Bezman wrote:

actually, no! several people have asked me about this, and i am kind of rude to all of them! it's a more reasonable idea than i give it credit for.

Ah. I feel silly now.

I do actually enjoy reading about people sleeping though. In fact, that's my major complaint about Mr. Ladyboy's 168/175 hour comic blog - not enough written about how much/when he slept, in what amounts etc. Seriously, it seems to be a major difference between us and as such a point of interest to me.

If you could remember every single dream, I think a Hourly Comic Diary where you slept the entire day would be awesome. Even if you can't, I still think sleep is great. And interesting to read about.

stereotypist wrote:

Bezman wrote:

i'm not sure! i haven't done this myself. if you fall asleep before you do a comic for the hour, and then wake up some time past that hour, i guess that is okay? just keep doing them while you're awake.

You never fall asleep in the middle of the day? This happens to me all the time!

I just use your 'every waking hour' rule to say it's OK. As you could argue it wasn't entirely a waking hour.

I like my own rules, which cover this. My extended rules basically state that if you're asleep, or trying to sleep, you don't need to draw. Otherwise, you get one hour to catch up with your comics up until that point. So that covers waking up at silly times or whatever.

Then for hours I miss, I always draw the little 'travelling' arrow.

stereotypist wrote:

Bezman wrote:

I'm guessing they only tried it for a day? I didn't forget on Jan 1st. I forgot on the 2nd day though. And though I try and remember, it's not top of my mind always and as such I've forgotten maybe 5 times over the month. I think those people saying, "What's the big deal?" should do it for at least a week before scoffing.

Seriously. I find it amazing and rather awesome that you haven't missed a single hour. (You haven't, have you? I haven't been reading for the past few weeks.)

But I think you should write about you sleeping.

jasonturner wrote:
Bezman wrote:

Totally. Kinda like 24-hour comics day. But it's still nice to have rules and a goal to try and attain, yaknow?

And unlike 24-hcd (where most of the challenge comes from your own intent to make something decent) the hourly comic diaries seem pretty challenging to me at their basest level.

NMcCoy wrote:
This sounds like a lot of fun. I have essentially zero skill at drawing (I know everyone says that, but I mean it), and can't find any black pens in my apartment, so I guess I'll be doing sort of a mixed-media stick-figure mishmash. With no rehearsal, it'll be an interesting experience.

Sounds exciting.
Jared
Jericho

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must...stop trolling Hourly comic forum for new updates and entries....
I've had so little sleep, but people keep posting new, interesting, and awesome hourly comics. God damn you all!
-jared
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Forums Forum Index -> Hourly Comic Day 2006 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: